Umatter at UGA
What is UMatter?
- An active bystander intervention program that supports a culture where people care about and help each other.
- Provides skills to safely identify and help individuals in need.
- Raises awareness to access resources in the UGA community.
How have actions mattered at UGA?
- Students have prevented incidents of interpersonal violence by intervening when they saw an intoxicated individual getting into a car with a stranger posing as a ride share driver.
- Students have called for help when they saw someone needing medical attention after consuming alcohol or other substances and saved their lives.
Attend a UMatter program and learn the skills to help!
Choose to Matter at UGA
- Choose to take action early – before a situation escalates. This can be effective and safer for everyone involved.
- Choose to confront friends who make excuses for inappropriate behavior. Even small things such as comments, jokes, media, or music lyrics promote a culture of violence and disrespect. Sometimes all it takes is a look!
- Choose to support a community where people care about each other. Your actions can reinforce the expectations of the UGA community to offer help when needed.
- Choose to be part of a community that encourages one another to speak up or act.
How can you show others that they matter?
- Attend the FREE UMatter Active Bystander Intervention Program and receive a Fontaine Center t-shirt.
- Bring your friends.
You never know when the next person who needs help will be you!
Large Group or Student Organization?
Click here to request a program!