MEDICAL AMNESTY & RESPONSIBLE ACTION PROTOCOL
Students are encouraged to make responsible decisions in life-threatening situations that result from alcohol and/or other drug use and to seek medical attention for someone who is in danger because of intoxication.
Do not wait to call 911 if you think someone needs medical attention.
When can a person use Medical Amnesty and the Responsible Action Protocol?
- If someone is seeking medical assistance due to the consumption of alcohol or other drugs
Who is protected under Medical Amnesty and the Responsible Action Protocol?
- Both the person calling for medical assistance and the individual in need of medical assistance regardless of age or consumption of illegal substance
What does Medical Amnesty do?
- Only applies if seeking medical assistance
- Provides immunities from certain arrests, charges or prosecutions that would only occur due to alcohol or other drug consumption
What does the Responsible Action Protocol do?
- Students who seek emergency assistance for an alcohol or other drug related emergency may not be subjected to mandatory alcohol and other drug sanctions under UGA’s Code of Conduct.
Georgia General Assembly. (2014, April 24). 2013-2014 Regular Session – HB 965 Georgia 9-1-1 Medical Amnesty Law. Retrieved from: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20132014/HB/965